Roberto Barata, born in Lisbon, Portugal, works professionally with dogs and other species since his 17 years old, being an integral part of his life over this years. He is in Denmark in cooperation with the etologi.dk (Etologisk Institut). His native language is Portuguese and communicates professionally in English, Spanish, French and Danish.
- Animal behavior modification in dogs, cats and horses.
- Talks, conferences, seminars and workshops in the area of Mentoring, Anthrozoology and Animal Behavior.
- Certified courses for companion animal owners and the whole family (children and adults).
- Personalized courses of behavior modification, handling and restrain for students and professionals in the veterinary field.
- Training, mentoring and personalized scientific consulting in mentoring, life coaching, animal behavior and anthrozoology to privates, animal professionals, companies, private entities, academic and governmental institutions and NPO/NGO.
- Tutor, director of the Portuguese-speaking region and administrative staff member at the Ethology Institute.
- Author and contributor in the development of technical manuals, translation, articles and other work in scientific community.
- Companion animals and human relationship in society (anthrozoology) independent researcher and implementer in animal training, studying the professionals daily life challenges and give them professional mentoring skills.
Most relevant professional education and previous experience:
- Certificate in Advanced Applied Ethology (UK).
- Specialist Diploma in Human-Animal Studies (ES).
- Graduate in Applied Ethology finalist- BSc in Animal Behavior. Thesis: “Movement and Motivation in Animal Behavior Modification”. (UK)
- Professional Instructors Course (teaching and research) and Juez CCE. (ES)
- Professional license of dog trainer, behavioral modification technician and dog training in defense and surveillance operations. (ES)
- Military dog trainer course. (PT)
- AAA / AAT course. (US)
- Comprehensive Canine Therapy Course with IPDTA Certification (CA).
- Auxiliary Veterinary Technician Course. (PT)
- Certified education in Leadership, Life Coaching (ACELC, PCELC Accreditation) and Mentoring; Management of behaviors; Psychosociology at work and interpersonal skills management; Social psychology; NLP and Critical Thinking.
- CGC Evaluator at American Kennel Club. (US)
- Instruction Skills Accreditation (CCP). (PT)
- Animal Shelter Voluntary. (PT)
- Pet Sitting and Dog Walking.
He is a modern implementer and precursor of an anthrozoological view in animal training. Due to the lack of this view in animal training, he had to create and adjust models based on scientific evidence and empirical knowledge, demystifying popular theories, concepts and current approaches in animal training, including trainer’s daily life challenges, promoting their self-reflection and individual professional development, incorporating other areas within the animal training to create a different and professional model in order to bring seriousness to animal training activity.
His differentiated approach to animal behavior modification follows the natural communication, the interspecific understanding and the critical thinking as a tool for professional improvement. He follows and respects the science by regularly updating his work and rejecting extremist/moralistic currents or the misrepresentation of science in favor of social, economic or political trends.
He defines his work in the same way he enjoys his life: “Respect for silence and individual space, freedom in critical thinking, questioning, simplicity and precision in our actions. Nosce te ipsum– Know thyself.”
Roberto Barata has a CAAE diploma from Ethology Institute. The institute offers professional programs with solid scientific knowledge in a modern and dynamic platform.
If you wish to obtain an international education in animal training, click here.