Roberto Barata, born in Lisbon, Portugal, works professionally with dogs and other species since his 17 years old, being an integral part of his life over this years.
His native language is Portuguese and communicates professionaly in English, Spanish, French and Danish.
His present work:
– Animal trainers instructor and adviser. His main functions are animal behaviour modification (dogs, cats and horses), international lectures and seminars, certified courses for companion animal owners, instructors education, personalized services of counselling, life coaching and mentoring for particular, companies, universities, NGO, and governmental or private entities worldwide in cooperation with Etologisk Institut (etologi.dk, Denmark).
– Director of Studies (Portuguese division) at Ethology Institute Cambridge.
– Scientific Adviser in some NPO and companies;
– International Speaker in Portuguese, English and Spanish language;
– A writer of popular, review and scientific articles.
– Companion animals and human relationship in society (anthrozoology) researcher and implementer in animal training, studying trainer’s daily life challenges since 2010.
His most relevant professional education and previous experience:
– Certificate in Advanced Applied Ethology. (UK)
– Specialist Diploma in Human-Animal Studies. (ES)
– Graduate Animal Trainer Student- BSc in Animal Behaviour and Training. (UK)
– Professional Instructors Course (teaching and research) and Juez CCE. (ES)
– Professional license of dog trainer, behavioral modification technician and dog training in defense and surveillance operations. (ES)
– Military dog trainer course. (PT)
– Animal-assisted therapy course. (US)
– Comprehensive Canine Therapy Course with IPDTA Certification. (CA)
– Auxiliary Veterinary Technician Course. (PT)
– Certified education in Leadership, Life Coaching (ACELC, PCELC Accreditation) and Mentoring; Management of behaviours; Psychosociology at work and interpersonal skills management; Social psychology; NLP and Critical Thinking.
– CGC Evaluator at AKC. (US)
– Instruction Skills Certificate (CCP). (PT)
– Animal Shelter Voluntary Services.
– Pet Sitting and Dog Walking Services.
He is a modern pioneer of implementing an anthrozoological view in animal training. Due to the lack of this view in animal training, he had to use the Ethology Institute philosophy to create and adjust models based on scientific evidence and empirical knowledge, demystifying theories, concepts and current approaches in animal training, including trainer’s daily life challenges, promoting their self-reflection and individual professional development.
His differentiated scientific approach to animal behaviour modification follows the Ethology Institute philosophy—the natural communication, the interspecific understanding and the critical thinking as a tool for professional improvement. He follows and respects the science by regularly updating his work and rejecting extremist/moralistic currents or the misrepresentations of the science.
He defines his work in the same way he enjoys his life: “Respect for silence and individual space, freedom in critical thinking, questioning, simplicity and precision in our actions.”
“I would like to express my public thanks to Professor Roger Abrantes, to Tilde Detz Jensen and to the entire team of ethology.eu and etologi.dk for all the confidence, motivation and professionalism. Thank you.”
“Nosce te ipsum” – Know yourself.
I have the CAAE certificate from the Ethology Institute Cambridge. If you would like to obtain a professional trainer program, contact the Ethology Institute Cambridge.
The institute offers excellent programs where you can take the theory online, managing your learning. You can also contact us for more information.